Kisite Island is mainly grass covered and an important breeding ground for sea birds while Mpunguti Islands have dense coastal equatorial forest. Surrounding waters have well-developed coral gardens and fishes.
The Marine Park can be approached easily by motorboat or traditional dhow from Shimoni. 45 varieties of coral have so far been identified with over 250 species of fishes recorded. One of the attractions is Dolphin watching. At Shimoni, which literally means a “hole” in swahili one is able to see caves used by slave traders to hide slaves during the slave trade era from the liberators of slave trade.
Kisite Marine Park is an ideal place for diving. Diving gear is easily available from tour agents around Shimoni
- The park can only be reached by boat. Kisite Marine Park, KWS HQ is 200 meters south of the main Shimoni Pier.
- 85 kms from Mombasa via Diani & Kwale
- Kwale District, Coast Province. The Marine Park lies 6 Km off the Kenyan Coast (at Shimoni) and 8 Km North of the Tanzanian Border
SIZE / LOCATION
- 39sq km. (Kisite Park: 28km2. Mpunguti Reserve: 11km2).
- The Coast is humid with mean annual temperatures ranging from 22-34 C. rainfall is about 500mm pa.
SAFARI CARD REQUIRED?
- At present the park does not operate on smart card system. Entry is by cash only (KSH or US$).
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses and guidebooks
- Coral gardens
- Kisite and Mpunguti Islands
- Sandy islands formulate during low tide
- Comprises more than 250-recorded species, including Fish, Dolphins, Sea turtles, Whales, Corals, Sea grass, and Gastropods
- Many Sea- birds in large nesting colonies and internationally significant numbers of crab-plover and roseate tern
WHERE TO STAY
- In – Park Accommodation
- There is Currently no accommodation in the reserve. Visitors can stay in Mombasa town which offers various accommodation options. There are lots of luxurious, comfortable and culturally rich hotels and lodges to choose from.
- KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
- The Shimoni Bandas.
- Camping Facilities
- Chlobus Campsite
- Mpunguti Campsite
- Wind surfing
- Water skiing