Background Information Hell’s Gate National Park which covers an area of 68.25 km2 is situated in the environs of Lake Naivasha about 90 km from Nairobi. The park is situated 14 km after the turnoff from the old Nairobi-Naivasha highway. The park is characterised by diverse topography and geological scenery. It is famous for its natural geysers, eagle and vulture breeding grounds.
Scenic locations include Fisher’s Tower, the Central Tower and the Njorowa gorge. Two extinct volcanoes Olkaria and Hobley’s are located here. Natural steam vents rise from volcanic rock. Obsidian, a striking black glassy rock formed from cooled molten lava is a feature of this landscape.
The flora is mainly grasslands and shrublands with the latter being dominated by LeIeshwa and several species of acacia. Large mammals found in the park include buffalo, eland, plains zebra, Grants and Thompsons gazelles, reedbuck, impala, Coke’s hartebeest Maasai giraffe, lion, leopard, cheetah and spotted hyenas. The gorge and cliffs and breeding sites for several species of raptors and swifts. 103 species of birds have been recorded in the park.
Olkaria Geothermal Station is located inside the park.
“Photograph copyright Stuart Gray, used with permission” http://www.flickr.com/photos/
- By Road: This park is accessible via tarmac road from Nairobi (90kms) via Naivasha Town on the Lake Road South at a junction 5km south of Naivasha
- By Air: Naivasha air strip
- The main Elsa Gate
- Olkaria Gate
SIZE / LOCATION
- 68 Km2.
- Naivasha , Rift Valley Province
- Temperature ranges from 20-300 c and rainfall from 200mm – 700 mm
- Two rain seasons: Long rains – March & April & short rains – Nov/ December
PERSONNEL ON CALL
- The Warden
SAFARICARD REQUIRED? At present the park does not operate on the smartcard system. Entry is by cash only (KShs or US $)
- Citizens – Valid Passport or National ID
- Residents – Valid Passport & re entry pass
- Elephant in Eden
- Aruba Dam
- Game viewing
- Raptor nesting in cliffs
- Spectecular Gorge walk
- Hot springs
- The Olkaria Geothermal Station
- The Mervyn Carnelley Raptor Hide
- Fischer’s Tower
- Tourist circuits, nature trails and picnic sites
- Buffalo, zebra, eland, hartebeest, Thomson’s gazelle and giraffe, babooms, serval cat and klipspringer antelopes
- Prolific birdlife features 103 species.
WHERE TO STAY
- In – Park Accommodation
There is no accommodation in the Park ; although a wide range of accommodations options are available in Naivasha town and along Moi South Lake Road.
- KWS Self – Catering Accommodation:
There are no self-catering facilities at Hell’s Gate National Park.
- Camping Facilities
Oldubai campsite( on the cliff top south of Fischer’s Tower) Nairburta campsite Endchata campsite (across the gorge on the northern cliffs)
- Rock climbing
- Bird watching
- Wildlife viewing
WHAT TO TAKE WITH YOU
- Drinking water, picnic items and camping equipment if you intend to stay overnight. Also useful are: binoculars, camera, hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, walking boots and guidebooks